There has been a lot of interest around the new urban recycling service in Dannevirke which will start next month. We have compiled the most frequently asked questions and provided answers below.
Who gets these bins?
All properties in Dannevirke, Eketāhuna, Woodville and Pahiatua that pay urban rates will receive these bins. You may see your neighbour doesn’t have one, this is because they are in the rural boundary.
What will we get?
A 240L wheelie bin for recycling 1, 2 & 5 plastics, cardboard, and tin.
A 45L glass bin to recycle glass
When distributed, there will be an information packet inside the glass recycling crate including:
- A booklet with general information, recycling route maps, tips on recycling and collection day information
- A fridge magnet with information on collection days for your town
- A collection day calendar
How are these new bins paid for?
The improved recycling services will be funded by a combination of rates for urban properties receiving these services, revenue generated from the recycled glass, and through Central Government's waste levy.
When will the kerbside recycling start?
The improved kerbside recycling collection service is planned to begin in July this year.
On what day will the recycle bins be picked up?
Only Dannevirke will have two collection days. Areas in the North Zone will be picked up on Monday. Areas in the South Zone are picked up on Tuesday. (see map) There will be more information on these zones in the information booklet.
Pahiatua will be on Wednesday. Woodville and Eketāhuna will be on Thursday.
What cannot be recycled?
- No soft plastics
- No plastic bags
- No wet paper/cardboard
- No food waste
- No polysterene
- No fibreglass/Other
- No bottle lids
- Unrinsed plastics
Don't want a recycle bin?
Please contact the Tararua District Council and let the team know your address and the reason you are opting out.
When will the bins and crates be distributed?
The anticipated distribution dates are:
- 9th June – Deliveries of bin and crates begin to Eketāhuna residents
- 10th -11th June – Deliveries of bin and crates begin to Woodville residents
- 13th-15th June - Deliveries of bin and crates begin to Pahiatua residents
- 16th – 21st June - Deliveries of bin and crates begin to Dannevirke South Zone residents(see map)
- 22nd- 24th June - Deliveries of bin and crates begin to Dannevirke North Zone residents (see map)