Feedback Wanted - Please take our short survey.

Click here to take survey

Local News


Local News

It was nearly an all Central Hawke’s Bay final for Hawke’s Bay Netball’s Super 8 competition.

Semi-finals were played at Pettigrew Green Arena on Saturday, with Central Sports Vet Services playing All In Elusive in game one.

All In were heavy favourites after being undefeated during the round-robin competition but were pushed hard by Central.

Central fought back in the second half of the game, after being down 27-24 following the first two quarters.

Scores were tied 48 all in the final two minutes, before All In scored and took the game 50-49.

In the other semi, Thirsty Whale Otane beat Hastings Girls High School Huias 62-47.


The Ranfurly Shield will stay in Hawke’s Bay after a hard-fought win for the Magpies yesterday.

The Bunnings NPC re-started last weekend following the COVID-19 lockdown.

The Magpies lead Bay of Plenty 27-19 at half-time, and it was two penalty goals from the boot of substitute first-five Tiaan Falcon in the dying minutes of the game that gave the Magpies the win 36-33.

This weekend the Magpies will play Wellington away.

Our 2021 Magpies coverage is thanks to the Leopard Hotel in Waipukurau.


Sport Hawke’s Bay Co-ordinator, Nicky Heremaia, says she is very happy with numbers for the 2021 Hatuma Virtual Half Marathon.

Entries closed on Saturday night for the event, which started yesterday, and will run for a week.

Nicky says in total 560 people signed up, including three international entries – coming from Japan and England.

She says entries have also come from across the country – from Whangarei all the way to Dunedin.

Participants can choose whether to complete the 21.1kms on one day, or over seven days, uploading their progress as they go.

Nicky says 137 people uploaded their results on the first day.


The Tararua District Council is due to provide updates on Precautionary Boil Water notices for the Dannevirke and Eketahuna water supplies later this morning.

The Dannevirke notice has been in effect since last Wednesday following high turbidity in the town supply, with a notice also issued for Eketahuna on Friday.

Three consecutive days of clear tests once the turbidity reduces are required before the notices can be lifted.

The Council said no e.Coli had been detected at either supply.