Feedback Wanted - Please take our short survey.

Click here to take survey

Local News


Local News

A 17-year-old Napier youth has been arrested after a Police car was rammed in Waipukurau yesterday. 

Local Police were responded after a car allegedly taken in Napier was reported to be travelling to Waipukurau. 

The vehicle was located, and police tried to stop the driver in Peel St, but the driver allegedly fled through the centre of town. 

Due to safety reasons, the pursuit was abandoned. 

The vehicle was then found in Mt Herbert Road, and it was boxed in by two Police vehicles after it turned into a cul-de-sac. 

After hitting one Police vehicle - which sustained panel damage and a broken mirror, the offending vehicle took off. 

Police located the driver at a local address, understood to be in Mackie Street. 

The teen has been charged with unlawful taking of a vehicle, dangerous driving, failing to stop and breach of bail. 


The driver of a vehicle that crashed near Takapau yesterday was uninjured. 

Emergency services were called after a car flipped on Paulsen Road. 


Waipukurau’s Countdown supermarket was evacuated last evening after fire alarms went off. 

Waipukurau Deputy Fire Chief Glen Millar said there was an alarm activation at 5.39pm, with the Waipukurau and Waipawa brigades responded to the store. 

He said firefighters, working under COVID Alert Level 4 protocols, investigated the cause of the activation, but nothing was found. 

Mr Millar said repairs were being carried out at the time, with workmen in the ceiling space of the supermarket. 

Customers and staff were able to return to the store around 6.15pm. 


Just after returning from the Countdown job, the Waipukurau brigade was called to a vegetation fire on Racecourse Road. 

Glen Millar said a property had felled a tree, and was burning the prunings. 

He said the brigade deemed that the fire was safe enough to leave in the hands of the owners. 


There were three small earthquakes in the Porangahau area yesterday. 

The first was at 8.45am ,measuring 2.4, and was followed by a magnitude 2.8 just before 8.30 last night. 

The third was just before 9pm, and measured 2.3. 

All were centred within 5km of Porangahau and had weak shaking, according to Geonet.