Feedback Wanted - Please take our short survey.

Click here to take survey

Local News


Local News

Just over $600,000 has been received to fund upgrades at two local beaches.

The Central Hawke’s Bay District Council made application to the New Zealand Tourism Infrastructure Fund for upgrades at two summer tourism hotspots – Kairakau beach and Pourerere Beach.

The numbers of people visiting the two beaches over the summer period is putting pressure on ageing and inadequate infrastructure.

Council received nearly $210,000 to upgrade the toilets at Pourerere Beach, and $404,000 to support an upgrade of the drinking water system at Kairakau.

The new waterless Pourerere Toilet Block would upgrade and replace an existing toilet block and would be in place by early 2022. 

Work at Kairakau is due to commence later this year. 

The local projects were among 57 throughout New Zealand to receive funding from the Infrastructure Fund.


Some residents and businesses in Waipukurau will be without water for a time this afternoon.

The Central Hawke’s Bay District Council says the water will be shutdown between 12 noon and 5pm to repair a section of the mains water supply

The affected areas are 27c Nelson Street, 7 Racecourse Road, 17 Racecourse Road and number 131 Ruataniwha Street, including The Rookery Coffee House.


Both Central Hawke’s Bay College rugby teams are in their respective finals this weekend.

The Junior team, playing in Division 5, beat Napier Boys High School 33-29 to book their place in the final against Hastings Boys High this Saturday.

The First XV beat Te Aute College 15 to 8, and will play Lindisfarne in Saturday’s final.

Both games are being played away.


There was a small earthquake centered near Waipukurau early this morning.

Geonet said the magnitude 2.7 quake was located 15km north of Waipukurau at a depth of 24km.

It occurred at 4.40 this morning.


A man received burns to his hands and feet following a fire at a Dannevirke home on Sunday evening.

Fire & Emergency NZ was called to a house fire on Guy Street just after 5pm Sunday, and found the house well alight on arrival.

The man who was the occupant of the house, was taken to Palmerston North Hospital after initially being treated by St John Ambulance staff at the scene.

A fire investigator was due to visit the damaged property yesterday.