Feedback Wanted - Please take our short survey.

Click here to take survey

Local News


Local News

Two women will appear in Court on drugs charges next month after search warrants were executed in Central Hawke’s Bay last week.

CHB Police together with staff from Hawkes Bay executed warrants at a number of local addresses on Wednesday.

Sergeant Neil Baker says in total, five warrants were executed which saw a large quantity of cannabis and cash located.

He says the warrants were the result of several month’s work into drug supply in CHB.

Mr Baker says a 34-year-old female was arrested and has been charged with possession of cannabis for supply and supply of a Class C drug.

A 28-year-old female has also been arrested and charged with supply of a Class C drug.

Both will appear in the Waipukurau District Court in May.

Mr Baker says it was an outstanding result and there was some great work by staff involved over a prolonged period.

He says Police will continue to target those that supply drugs and cause harm in our community.

Central Hawke’s Bay and most of Tararua District are now in an Open Fire Season.

Fire & Emergency NZ made the change last week.

The Open Fire Season also applies to Hastings and Napier, but a Restricted Fire Season remains in place for eastern parts of Tararua, and coastal Hawke’s Bay.

Fire & Emergency NZ District Manager, Glen Varcoe, says lower overnight temperatures and heavy dew has reduced the wildfire danger.

Work to create a safer main street in Waipawa will begin tonight.

The project will include two new pedestrian crossings, a centre island near Madge Hunter Park, new signage, road markings, planter boxes and bollards to help slow traffic through the township.

A roundabout is also planned at the intersection of SH2 and Ruataniwha Street.

New Zealand Transport Agency will fund 90% of the cost, with the Central Hawke’s Bay District Council the remaining 10%.

Construction is scheduled to start tonight and will take six to eight weeks.

The night works are scheduled from 7 pm to 6 am Sunday through to Thursday, with traffic management in place.

District Councillor Pip Burne says Council are committed to completing the construction efficiently and responsibly, with as minimal disruption to daily activities as possible.

Weekend rugby results thanks to the Leopard Hotel, Waipukurau :
Premier : CHB 55 vs Clive 0
Aotea 5 vs NTOB 45
Women’s : CHB 10 vs MAC 67
Country Grade :
Porangahau 41 vs CHB 0
WCUMR 47 vs Takapau 7
Otane 24 vs Eskview 17