A man is in a critical condition in Hawke’s Bay Hospital following an incident in Takapau yesterday.
Police and St John Ambulance were called after a man received stab wounds.
Detective Senior Sergeant James Keene said a group of people, who were known to each other, were at an address in Charlotte Street at around 5pm when an altercation has taken place.
He said a man suffered multiple stab wounds as a result.
Mr Keene said the victim has managed to get himself across the road where he lost consciousness.
He was airlifted to Hawke’s Bay Hospital, where Keene said he remains in a critical condition.
Police have spoken to one person who was at the address at the time of the incident, and Mr Keene said enquiries are well underway to locate others.
Unattended cooking is the cause of a fire at a home on Porangahau Road yesterday.
Fire & Emergency NZ received a call just before 1.30pm, with appliances and tankers from a number of local brigades attending the scene.
Waipukurau Fire Brigade Station Officer, Richard Elworthy, said the kitchen of the home was significantly damaged from the fire, which was caused by unattended cooking.
He said the rest of the home received smoke damage.
Mr Elworthy said firefighters spent about two hours at the scene.
He reminded people to keep an eye on what they are cooking, and not leave it unattended.
The water situation in Pahiatua is still critical.
An issue with the town’s treatment plant last week saw the Tararua District Council ask for urgent water conservation and implement a total outdoor water ban.
A faulty valve was replaced yesterday by engineers, and the Council said water levels are slowly increasing.
If levels run any lower, river water will be added to the reservoir, which will require a Boil Water Notice to be put in place.