A million dollars will go towards helping farmers and growers in Tararua District with urgent maintenance and resilience works from Cyclone Gabrielle and other weather events.
The money will come from a $35.4 million from the Ministry for Primary Industries.
An earlier report identified nearly $8 million worth of damage across farms in the district, with insurance covering less than 5% of the total cost.
Farmers will be able to apply for reimbursement of costs for uninsured critical repairs already complete.
Applications can also be made for uninsured works yet to be completed, and that must be done so by the 31st of December this year.
Tararua Mayor Tracey Collis said the $1 million will offer some relief to those who are carrying considerable financial burden because of the severe weather events.
Full details are available on the Tararua District Council website.
Engineers have been busy working on an issue at the Pahiatua Water Treatment Plant as restrictions on use remain.
The Tararua District Council implemented a Total Water Ban earlier this week and asked for urgent water conservation.
Some improvements were made on Tuesday night, and engineers were back at the Plant yesterday working on the issue.
The Council says in the meantime, the outdoor ban would remain until further notice, and asks residents and businesses to continue to conserve water.
There is an Orange Wind Warning in place for Tararua District.
The warning covers the 12-hour period from 4pm today, with severe gale force northwesterlies forecast to gust to 120km/hr at times.
Forecasters say the winds have the potential to damage trees, powerlines, and unsecured structures, and make driving hazardous.
For Hawke’s Bay, there is a Strong Wind Watch in place for the 12-hours from seven o’clock tonight.
The Metservice says northwest winds may approach severe gale in exposed places of the region south of Napier.
Feedback from retailers in Waipawa has seen Waka Kotahi make changes to traffic management through the town while upgrade works are underway.
Work began on Monday to upgrade part of the stormwater network and install two raised safety crossings.
The initial plan was to close the northbound lane from 7am to 7pm each day until the 24th of September.
However, Waka Kotahi says during stage one of the work, both north and southbound lanes will be open to all road users, with a small stretch near the Cenotaph controlled by stop/go signs.
The detour through Kenilworth Street will also remain.
Waka Kotahi Director of Regional Relationships Linda Stewart says it’s really important to the agency that the concern from some retailers that has been raised this week has been considered and the traffic management altered to minimise disruption and maximise the access to businesses.
She says the change will see at least an additional 20 carparks available for use.