Local News kindly sponsored by: DANNEVIRKE
FRIDAY 3 MARCH 2020
The Ministry of Health reported three confirmed Covid-19 cases in Hawke’s Bay yesterday, taking the total for the region to 19.
Medical Officer of Health Dr Nick Jones said two of the cases reported were from people returning from overseas.
He said close contacts of the pair have been directly followed up by public health, and provided with advice and information.
Dr Jones said the other confirmed case is a household contact of a previously reported case, and there is no wider public health risk from the case.
He said the priority is to find and track down anyone that may have symptoms of COVID-19.
Dr Jones said the Government has updated the case definition to include anyone with symptoms of COVID-19 without the requirement for overseas travel.
He is urging anyone feeling unwell with a cough, fever, sneezing or a runny nose to contact their GP or call Healthline so they can be assessed.
The FMG Young Farmer of the Year Grand Final and remainder of 2020 season has been cancelled.
Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, NZ Young Farmers made the decision earlier this week.
NZYF CEO Lynda Coppersmith said before the severity of the outbreak became clear, they had looked at the possibility of postponing three FMG Young Farmer of the Year South Island Regional Finals to hold at a later date, but it’s quite clear that’s no longer an option.
She said the cancellation is the first in the contest's 52-year history.
Ms Coppersmith said 2020 Grand Finalists, along with all those who have qualified for the cancelled Regional Finals will need to re-qualify at district level for Regional Finals and Grand Final 2021.
She said this year’s Grand Finalists will keep their titles as FMG Young Farmer of the Year for their Region.